"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break." -- An ancient Chinese belief


"While I slept, my heart kept vigil."

"Today I kissed an angel, I knew it from the start; The first time our eyes met, I gave away my heart.

Today I kissed an angel, This angel child of mine; Though not of my creation, My child by God's design.

Today I kissed an angel, My heart is dancing wild; A family by a miracle, Blessed by this angel child."



Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tour to Pearl Factory and Great Wall of China

Up until today we’ve been sponge bathing Charlotte. Today I decided to try to place her in a sink of water to have a bath. Charlotte really didn’t care for this. Charlotte didn’t care for the shower I gave her the other day either, so I’m really not sure how the orphanage bathed the children. We’ll keep trying. Perhaps the water wasn’t cold enough or maybe it was too cold. At this point, we’re really not sure.

Each day we introduce another toy she hasn’t played with. Today we introduced a beach ball. She had quite a bit of fun with it but really prefers her rings. Daddy and Charlotte spend quite a bit of time playing with the ring of rings. Charlotte is learning where the spot is on the ring that is easiest to pull the others off from.

We met in the lobby at 9 am to go to The Great Wall; however, first we stopped at the Pearl Factory. We enjoyed a short information video followed by a demonstration—we each received a pearl from the split oyster. We purchased a necklace for Charlotte to wear on her wedding day. We also purchased a necklace for mommy and a few other gifts.

The Great Wall is quite a magnificent site. The stairs are really quite steep. We were advised that we should have both hands free to be able to hold the handrails. Dave and I didn’t really discuss it beforehand, but knew that my knees are in no shape to climb such steep stairs. I didn’t want to return home saying that I hadn’t at least tried. So, off we started, but didn’t get very far. The stairs are quite busy with lots of tourists—apparently, there are children running on the stairs and people pushing, as each one goes at their own pace, likely considerably faster than me. We didn’t want to take a chance with our precious little one, so we didn’t venture too far with her. We let her walk a little on the lead up to the stairs just so that we could say that we walked on the Great Wall. Our videographer went much further and took lots of footage of the journey, so we will have to be satisfied with living vicariously through the video and others who ventured on. A couple of people in our group went 3 and 7 towers across the wall.

Dave, Charlotte, and I sat at a picnic table and talked with fellow travelers from another adoption group from Montreal. We met an elderly Chinese woman who was quite taken with Charlotte. We gave her our little message on a card and she clapped her approval. It is really quite humbling to receive such acceptance and gratitude from the local people. We are so in love with our daughter that I really can’t imagine our lives any other way. We are very grateful to the Chinese government for allowing us to adopt such a beautiful little gem.

Our next stop was for lunch at the Cloinnese Factory—you had to walk through the store to get to the elevator to take you to the restaurant. Here we enjoyed what is the closest meal we’ve had to North American Chinese food. It was very comforting. After lunch we had some time to shop in the store. Again, I purchased a few gifts and items for Charlotte for when she gets older.














3 comments:

  1. What beautiful pics of your sweet baby girl's sunny smile!! Your pictures of the Great Wall are absolutely beautiful. What a wonderful day you had to travel there! Ours unfortunately was cold, rainy and cloudy so we didn't see much but it was still a breathtaking experience and one i treasure to this day!!

    You're right about the meal at the Cloissone factory. Deeelish! My dad still talks about that meal today and how we wish we could go back!

    Enjoy the rest of your trip friend and we'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte is really starting to look very comfortable in your arms. She has an infectious smile and we're starting to see more and more of it. She's stolen your hearts and now I think you're stealing hers!!
    Only a few more days and you'll be home!
    Love Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. She may have still been bathed in a baby bath or tub that sat on a high surface. If your sink is big enough to hold her, I would try that next. And let her wash/be washed with a cloth everywhere-including her hair.

    Her new pictures are adorable, of course.

    ReplyDelete